Tuesday 9 August 2011

Kennedy Boulder

The Kennedy boulder is the big one in the middle. 2 howff boulders to the left of it are big, left again this boulder has easy slab, good arete and crimpy wall. In front are 2 boulders with easier stuff though mossy. Out of shot on the left is a roof problem which looks good (desperate) and further downhill is another large boulder. Up hill from here looks like boulder jumble choas.


Impressed is how I'd describe myself when I first looked at the Kennedy boulder. That was yesterday, when I paid a visit to the Glen Croe giant. Firstly, the walk is fine. I've been on much more epic walks to bouldering and the stuff here is not bad at all. What else is there are more boulders here than the Kennedy boulder, and not in as much of a "despora" as the north side of the glen. Add to that mostly flat grassy landing around most of the blocks, range of grades (beginners welcome), open hillside for midge beating breezes, good rock if a bit mossy in places, and it's what an hours drive from Glasgow? Sounds to me like a great venue.



Also, I broke a hold on The Nuclear Button, the second crimp which used to be in-cut is now slopey. I couldn't pull off the floor so how much it's changed, I don't know.


P.S. If you enjoyed the music in that video, it's probably because the backing guitar is played by Nic Duboust...

2 comments:

dom said...

I climbed and explored this hillside a good amount back in 2003, if you walk further uphill and north (to the left in the photo) there is a amazing steep wave-like highball mini-crag with lots of potential.

Mike said...

Cool, I found a cave/roof wall which looked like it'd have a couple of hard things, but it was about the same height as the kennedy boulder. Do you have a topo?